Friday, January 30, 2009

Entregador


I played Maputo paper boy today and went out with one of the 50 delivery people that distribute 50,000 papers in a city with very poor urban planning. A lot of the delivery spots were down random dirt roads a lots, fortunately Paulino (my jefe for the day) was like a walking google maps. I would put him on par with Ben with and Iphone.

I didn't completely understand the spreadsheet project when I started because the whole thing wasn't shown to me. On day 2 I realized they had created an entire ZIP code system (found this out when I couldn't cross reference with google) that integrates population density. Unfortunately they built the data structures in print friendly formats in excel :( So I had some fun fixing it and then messing up some of the labels for the distribution (see video if it loads...)

The experience was incredible. We were walking celebrities that people recognized and loved. To deliver 5 Verdade papers to a building we would have to carry 8-10 because everyone would ask/beg for them.

2 comments:

  1. Must have been the fly. Great post. Made me smile out loud. Zee a big hit at Packer last eve. Wonderful concert. Your friends attending this evening.
    Take care.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that kind of excitement about the paper, you could soon say your circulation had doubled in one day, and that readership was at least 10x that. (Murdoch knows all about this.) That would get you to a million by next week, easy.

    XO

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete